Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Carrier Helps Recover MTE


Thanks to Washington Bridge Letter Carrier Pirthi Goel’s conscientious nature, the Postal Service has recovered more than 400 flat tubs worth over $2,000.
“I was delivering mail on my route one day, when I noticed through an open door that there were stacks of tubs piled up in the basement of the house,” recalled Goel. “I told the owner who had just bought the house, that he should make arrangements to return the tubs. Then when I returned to the station, I notified my manager of what I saw, and contacted the Postal Police.”

Letter Carrier Pirthi Goel and Relay Driver Mike Walsh hold recovered MTE in front of Washington Bridge Post Office

Flat tubs recovered from the basement of this home thanks to Letter Carrier
Pirthi Goel's diligence
The Postal Police contacted the U.S. Inspection Service and after they paid a visit to the home, the owner promptly made arrangements with Washington Bridge Relay Driver Mike Walsh to load the MTE in his Postal truck and return everything to the station.
“I have managed Carrier Goel since 2007 and he has always protected USPS property,” said Mgr. Onix Lugo. “If he sees someone misusing our equipment he will inform us. He is a supervisor’s dream Letter Carrier who scans all parcels, scans all MSPs and always does as instructed.”
“I was happy to hear everything was resolved, and the Postal Service got its equipment back,” said Goel. “I want to protect our property. If its one or two buckets, that is one thing, but when you see someone is holding a lot of our equipment, it hurts the company. I think all employees should take action if they see MTE being misused.”
USPS spends millions of dollars every year on mail transportation equipment (MTE) to replenish inventory and make sure customers have what they need to operate their business effectively.
Replacing missing or misused MTE hurts the Postal Service’s bottom line.
Employees are encouraged to report MTE that is being misused, stored unnecessarily, or located outside the Postal network. Send leads and tips to HQMTE@usps.gov, or call the MTE hotline at
866-330-3404.