Tuesday, May 22, 2012

45 Years of Service


When General Clerk Frank L. Montero joined the U.S. Post Office Department 45 years ago, the average cost of a new home in the United States was $24,600. A new car cost $2,750, the median household income was $7,143 and tickets to the movies cost a buck twenty.
Since then, homes cost an average of $225,000, cars cost almost $30,000, the average income tops out about $49,000, movies cost about twelve bucks, and Frank Montero is still working for largest shipping agency in the world, now called the U.S. Postal Service.
“Today’s American workers change jobs an average of three times before they reach retirement age,” said Bronx Postmaster Howard E. Sample during a presentation honoring Montero at Williamsbridge Station. “Postal employees however, stay with us. They are loyal, and I think it’s important to recognize them for their enduring dedication to the service.”
“I worked at Bronx GPO almost my entire career,” said Montero, who came to Williamsbridge about a year ago. “I had several jobs and gotten to know so many people.”
Montero mentioned the great Postal worker strike of 1972, the terror attacks of September 11, the anthrax crisis, and even the noticeable decline in First Class mail as some of the events and calamities he has worked through. But he has no regrets. “This job has been good to me,” he said. “I raised four children and six grandchildren with the Post Office. And when I retire to Florida, I’ll have plenty of good memories to take with me.”

Mgr. Halbert Clark, Mgr. Desiree Brown-Stuart, General Clerk Frank L. Montero, BX Postmaster Howard E. Sample at Williamsbridge Station